Well three days in Siem Riep and we have walked for kilometres over at least 20 x1000 year old temples until we were both templed out. It was so hot today as we ascended the temple steps in one place (which were almost vertical for 3 levels of 30 metre steps- no mean feat when you see the signs warning that you do so at your own peril) . Not being a lover of heights I was quite proud of myself for actually getting up there. Getting down was even more hair raising but we managed and the reward was to be greeted by throngs of people wanting to sell you drinks You buy madam you buy sir, you name it they will flog it. Enterprising they are. We laughed our way through it its not worth getting annoyed because they are just making a living. Hugo had done up 40 or so little packets of Australian stamps and these went like hot cakes. They enjoyed them and wanted more for my friend... my brother... The rocks on these temples were baking in the sun and they were so hot that I burnt the map of Cambodia on my gluteus maximus when I sat down! However I am proud to say we kept pace with all the Teva clad back packers from around the world in their uniform of khaki long shorts and singlets and Teva sandals.
Yes it was amazing.These temples are a testimony to their great artisan ancestory of the Khmer empire. They are steeped in history and you really do feel like you are on an Indiana Jones film set. We have so many photos of temples we could bore you allf or a week! They are so large covering an area the size of Los Angeles I am told. We tuk tuk ed our way and felt some what smug when the zealous young back packers were dripping buckets of sweat on their push bikes.I am passed the stage of having to prove myself. I just know some of them were eyeing our tuk tuk off with envy!!
Any way it goodbye to Cambodia tomorrow and Good Morning Vietnam (off to Hanoi tomorrow).
I hope I can make this work in Vietnam because it was not working before in Saigon but will try. Sorry I have not worked out how to load photos yet I may try tomorrow before we go, if time permits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'll be curious to see your photos and see how much its changed since I was there (2004). There were a lot of new hotels and resort under construction in the town at the time....
I am jealous, I really want to see those temples. If we survive our hike to Machu Picchu next month Angkor Wat will be one of the next places on my list. Plus I don't think we will be able to go further afield then Asia for quite a while.
Am finding your stories very interesting. I know when Jon gets around to reading them he will want to go and help.
x Karyn
Post a Comment