Hanoi is also hot and muggy 35 degrees todat and 98% humidity!! It is different than Saigon, quite pretty architecture in the old quarter and much cleaner that Saigon. The people are quieter and very proud. Less English is spoen so I have been trying my hand at Vietnamese with the trusty phrase book but its not always understood. Its interesting but challenging weather wise and the fact they have one rule for some people but not everyone and you can see so much scamming. Everyone wants to take you for a ride in more ways than one. There is a strong sense of cultural pride here and they have fought colonialism from the french and USA so they feel quite proud of their efforts.
We did "Ho Chi Minh" mausoleum and surrounds today. The queue to see Uncle Ho snaked along for 500 metres. It took about 40 minutes to file past his embalmed body. He is venerated by the people as a hero of liberation from colonialism.
We alos visister the Temple of Literature which venerates Confucian scholars and people with doctorates. I wiped the turtles head (I was allowed seeing I had the qualification to do so!). Interesting to see how almost 1000 years ago Chinese mandarin scholars esteemed knowledge so much and the scripts with which they first wrote and passed on their wisdom.
Then we found our way back to our hotel in Ha Noi's "old quarter" narrow streets and alleyways and we got so lost. Each street starts with Hang. We 'live' on Hang Be, and then there is Hang Non and Hang Quat and Hang Gai not to be confused with Hang Gui just alongside Hang Quo and around the corner from Hang Lai... if you get my drift. You feel like saying "Who gives a Hang" but you have to find your way home!! Everyone see us as an old couple that clealrly cannot walk so they throg around us all day ask us for Cyclo, moto, or taxi rid for sir and madam, This gos on allllllllll day long. It's incessant and can actually drive you around the twist. Especially when they hang their baskets on you arms and demand you take a photo and then of course demand money and so the continual haranguing does get wearing. Most of the time I am Ok but occasionally you just want some peace when you are trying to work out 'where the hang you are' so you can walk home!
We could have spent longer here as it is actually quite interesting. For those who love shopping a meca with everything you can think of to buy. Tonight we will see the Vietnames water puppet show at 8.00pm so must go and wash the sweat off.
We are off to sail along the world heritage islands of Halong Bay tomorrow.
Well my fellow comrades (getting into the socialist speak here) till next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so glad you have kept up the side and stepped it out with the best of the Teva crowd! Life sounds very interesting if not just a little damp. I Hope the photos don't disappear from the camera before you get back. I think it will take a few dinners to get the whole story when you get back. Keep well, love to you both.
with regards to photos, are you trying to upload them straight from your camera because it is possible the files are way too big for slow internet connections. If you reduce the size of the file (by editing them on the computer if the software is available) then you should be able to upload your photos reasonably quickly.
re the photos I bought a card reader but the connections are so slow in the internet cafes that its just not working sorry it would be nice to show a few pics. I'll try when we get home for the US and Canada family!!
re the photos I bought a card reader but the connections are so slow in the internet cafes that its just not working sorry it would be nice to show a few pics. I'll try when we get home for the US and Canada family!!
Post a Comment